It’s OK To Drop The Guilt And Pick Up A Glass ~
If you enjoy red wine but still feel a tiny bit guilty about it, we’re here to help massage those doubts away.
Obviously, drinking too much, too often, isn’t good for your health. And alcohol isn’t a good fit for everyone.
But for the average person, the stats and research about the benefits of having one glass of red wine per day just keep pouring in.
Here’s why you can unwind, guilt-free, with a glass of your favorite red tonight:
1. Healthier Heart: Antioxidants in red wine — flavonoids — help reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) levels and increasing the production of good cholesterol. The darker varieties of wine are the ones that tend to have the highest concentration of flavonoids: Cabernet Sauvignon has the most, then Petite Sirah and Pinot Noir, then Merlot and Red Zinfandel.
2. Healthier Mental Outlook: People drinking 2-7 glasses of red wine per week were less likely to suffer from depression than those who drank more or less than that.
3. Healthier Gut, Healthier You: We all are hearing now that the higher your levels of healthy gut bacteria, the better your overall health–from your digestion, to your brain, to your immune system. At least one study showed that drinking red wine increases the levels of good bacteria in your gut. Yahoo!
4. Healthier Weight: Obviously we all need to watch the “calories in-calories out” meter to keep our weight in check. But a recent study found that piceatannol — a compound that our bodies make from the antioxidant, resveratrol, found in red wine — blocks fat cells from forming. This is currently under more scientific study, and we are personally going to research this at home tonight!
5. Healthier Brain Activity: Studies have long shown that polyphenols in red wine can improve your memory and may also help decrease the risk of dementia. Good to note that polyphenols are also found in tea, nuts, berries and cocoa. Cocoa, as in dark chocolate.
So drop any guilt as you pick up a glass of darker red — and enjoy with a few dark-chocolate-covered nuts and berries!
Many thanks to PopSugar for the original article.
Image courtesy of WindsorStar.com.